During the last few weeks I have been enjoying my first experience with Jim Hodges Audio Books. What a treasure for homeschooling families, especially those with auditory learners!
About Jim Hodges Audio Books
Jim Hodges has a large collection of historical audio books available. Among these recordings are eighteen books by G.A. Henty. The Henty books are noted for their historical accuracy, Christian worldview, and rich vocabulary, making these audio books a valuable tool for homeschooling families. (Learn more about G.A. Henty.)
Mr. Hodges has done a superb job of bringing the Henty books to life. His voice is pleasant and clear, and he skillfully presents each character in a unique voice which makes it easy to follow the story line of the book. The excellent sound quality and convenient MP3 format make the audio books a pleasure to use.
Advantages of Using Jim Hodges Audio Books to Learn History
- Listening to audio books is an enjoyable way to learn, even while traveling, doing chores, or having afternoon “quiet time.”
- Audio books provide a rich learning experience for auditory learners or students with reading difficulties.
- The historical books by G.A. Henty can help you teach history, geography, language, and character.
- Many of the Henty audio books have a downloadable vocabulary guide available to extend learning.
- The audio books are available in MP3 format, either as a CD or an immediate download–perfect for adding to your child’s MP3 player!
- A helpful Scope and Sequence is available, listing all the historical recordings by time period and recommended grade level.
How We Are Benefiting from Jim Hodges Audio Books
My oldest son is definitely an auditory learner. Although he is a good reader, the process of reading tends to hinder his retention of the material. In fact, it is not uncommon for him to finish reading and be unable to answer a single question about what he has read.
For this reason I actually read most of his textbooks aloud to him, discussing the concepts as we go. Having the content read to him frees his mind to process the facts and concepts covered.
I believe it’s safe to say that the Henty books would be difficult reading for my son, so I was excited to introduce him to these audio versions. After my son had listened to about three hours of With Lee in Virginia, I decided it was time to find out how things were going. I was thrilled to find that my son was able to recall events and details with ease.
Try an Audio Book for FREE
Mr. Hodges is offering a free download of Stories of the Pilgrims, a historical book by Margaret B. Pumphries. You’ll just need to enter your email address and use the download code IHSPilgrims (case-sensitive). I’m looking forward to using this recording with my children during the month of November!
If you’d like to find out more about these audio books, you can sign up for a free newsletter from Mr. Hodges. You can also read about Cindy’s experience with Jim Hodges Audio Books.
Audio Book Giveaway
I’m pleased to announce that one reader will win two free Jim Hodges Audio Books! Please enter the giveaway through the Rafflecopter below. The giveaway will end Monday, September 17, 2012.
I was provided with free audio books to facilitate this review. I was also compensated for my time reviewing the product, writing this review, and hosting the giveaway. All thoughts and opinions are my own; I was not required to post a positive review.