As a homeschool mom, I know my younger children need plenty of hands-on activities to encourage creativity and develop fine-motor skills. But since adding two little ones to our family in the last four years, it has been virtually impossible for me to come up with suitable craft projects and gather the necessary supplies.
My four-year-old son, Weston, and I were thrilled to receive an activity box from BabbaCo last week. I so enjoyed spending time with my little guy, and he loved the activities included in our box! (Be sure not to miss the BabbaBox giveaway at the bottom of this post!)
What is a BabbaBox?
A BabbaBox is a monthly activity box for kids ages three to six. Each theme-based kit contains four types of activities:
- Create two or three hands-on projects with all necessary supplies and instructions included.
- Explore with an activity that encourages the child to interact with the world and nature.
- Story Tell with a read-aloud story book that expands on the monthly theme.
- Connect via related digital downloads.
How we used the BabbaBox
We received the BabbaBox centered on the theme “The Way I Feel.” Activities included making magnets showing different expressions, using “spy glasses” to search for feelings expressed by others, and making sock puppets. The story book, When I Care About Others, discussed showing concern and kindness to others.
Weston’s favorite activity was making the sock puppets. He loved that there were enough supplies to make two puppets–one for him and one for Mom!
Our sock puppets, “Daniel” and “Laura”
Both Weston and one-year-old Kendra fell in love with the story book. We’ve read the book over and over again, taking time to discuss why the animals in the book feel the way they do.
If you’d like to see more of the variety of BabbaBox themes, take a look at LaToya’s review of the Sun, Moon, and Stars BabbaBox.
What we love about the BabbaBox
- All the materials are included for each activity. In fact, each project is packaged separately in its own plastic bag. You can literally pull out a bag and have everything you need right at your fingertips. Right down to safety scissors and colored pencils–I didn’t have to search for even one thing!
- The activities are perfect for preschoolers. My four-year-old loved every single activity included in our box!
- Each craft project has clearly detailed instructions. I loved that I could see at a glance exactly what steps to take to make the crafts. We didn’t waste a minute puzzling over the directions–and really, what young child has the patience to wait?
- The included book is a high-quality children’s story book. The book was colorful and interesting with plenty of opportunities for discussion. We have read the book many times since receiving it, and it has become the absolute favorite of both of my little ones.
- The activities work well in a homeschool setting. Weston loves to “do school” like the older children, and the BabbaBox gave him an excellent opportunity to learn while having fun!
How to get a BabbaBox for your child
It’s easy to sign up for a monthly or annual membership for your child at BabbaCo.com. And even better, you can get 20% off your first BabbaBox and any other BabbaCo products when you use coupon code CH20OFF!
Enter to win a BabbaBox!
Enter below using Rafflecopter. (Subscribers, please click through to visit the blog to enter the giveaway.)
Visit Mama Jenn Blogs by June 23 for another opportunity to win a BabbaBox!
Terms and conditions: Giveaway open to American residents age 18 and over. Giveaway ends June 25, 2012 at 11:59pm ET. Winner will be notifed June 26, 2012, via email. Winner has 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Disclosure: I received a free BabbaBox and was compensated for my time spent writing this review. I was not required to post a positive review. All opinions are my own–we genuinely loved our BabbaBox! This post contains affiliate links.