One of the nicest things about the cooler autumn weather is being able to add soup to the menu again. I made this delicious Hamburger Vegetable Soup last week, and even my meat-and-potatoes husband loved it! Served with fresh bread, it makes a filling meal, perfect for a cool evening. This soup is simple and quick to put together, and it reheats beautifully.
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cups peeled and diced potatoes
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 (28-oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup barley, uncooked
- 10 cups water
- 2 to 2 1/2 Tablespoons salt
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- Brown ground beef and onion in skillet; drain.
- Transfer to large soup pot; add all remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for two to four hours
- Remove bay leaves before servivng.
–Adapted from MoneySavingMom’s original recipe